Ellie Wood Keith Genealogy

Dr. James Murray

Male 1741 - 1819  (78 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name James Murray 
    • Owner of The Annapolis Inn
      father of Sally Scott Murray, who married the tyrannical Edward Lloyd, who was once a Repubican Gov. of Md. and Senator of Md [1]
    Prefix Dr. 
    Born 2 Jan 1741 
    Gender Male 
    Died 19 Dec 1819  Stafford County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried St Anne's Cemetery, Annapolis, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I30  Ellie Wood Keith
    Last Modified 17 Mar 2017 

    Mother Ann Smith Murray,   b. 7 Dec 1720,   d. 18 Aug 1807, Queen's Anne County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years) 
    Family ID F24  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Saray Ennalis Maynadler,   b. 8 Dec 1751,   d. 21 Nov 1837  (Age 85 years) 
    Children 
    +1. Anna Maria Murray,   b. 13 Oct 1776,   d. 29 Nov 1857, Clermont Woods, Fairfax, VA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 81 years)
    Last Modified 17 Mar 2017 
    Family ID F23  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Walking through the rooms of this house transports you back in time over two centuries to the days of the American Revolutionary War. Originally, 142 and 144 Prince George Street was one residence. The core of these two residences started as a double-pike, center-passage dwelling erected in the 1770s. With the growth of Annapolis in the late 19th century, a number of lots and dwellings in the older section of the city were subdivided to provide more housing and commercial stock. Such was the destiny of this two-story brick dwelling in the mid-1880s as the owner added an entrance bay to the northeast and partitioned the old section of the house to create two side-passage residences. The break in the brickwork caused by this radical reconfiguration of the house was masked on the exterior by stucco that obscured the header bond of the original section.

      Mr. Thomas Rutland was the builder and original owner of this building. It was during the 1770s that Mr. Thomas Rutland constructed this 50 by 32-foot, five-bay, brick dwelling on the northeast side of Prince George Street. The front elevation was laid in header bond while the rear and sidewalls were faced in English bond, a mid to late 18th-century decorative fashion characteristic of the region. The division between the first and second floors is demarcated by a four-course header bond belt course along the rear fa├žade, a treatment that was almost certainly repeated originally on the front as well. The two-story walls rise above an English bond foundation with a stepped water table.

      The original plan consisted of a center stair passage with a pair of flanking rooms on each side. Unlike many Annapolis houses of this scale, the two principal entertaining rooms faced the street front while the two smaller rooms were located to the rear. Internal chimneys located on the gable walls heated all four rooms. Little is known of the original finish of these rooms as they were completely renovated by a subsequent owner in the second quarter of the 19th century. The only surviving interior element from the first period of construction is an enriched plaster cornice on the first floor entertaining rooms and the original center stair passage similar in style to other late colonial examples in the city. The cymatium features an egg-and-dart band while the soffit of the corona consists of alternating modillions and pateras. The bed molding as a fret and rope motif along with a torus-shaped picture molding.

      Apparently, Mr. Rutland faced financial reverses and was forced to sell the house to Dr. James Murray in 1785. For part of his career, Dr. Murray was the physician to President Thomas Jefferson. Several of his sons-in-law were signers of The Declaration of Independence. Yes, they did sleep here! ; The 1798 Federal Direct tax assessed Murray $1,200 for this lot which contained the dwelling, a one-story brick kitchen measuring 16 by 32 feet, a 16 foot square brick medical shop, and an 8 by 10 foot brick smokehouse.
      [2]

  • Sources 
    1. [S6] Find a grave, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64870551.

    2. [S7] The Annapolis Inn, http://www.annapolisinn.com/history/.